What is Elderberry Syrup?
Elderberry Syrup Benefits and Your Immune System
How to Incorporate Elderberry Syrup into Your Routine
Classic and Simple Elderberry Syrup Recipe
Prep Time: 5 minutes
Cook Time: 40 minutes
Cooling Time: 1 hour
Post Cook Prep Time: 15 minutes
Total Time: 2 hours
- Medium-sized pot
- Measuring cup and spoons
- Whisk and mixing spoon
- Cheesecloth, undyed cotton muslin bag, or fine mesh strainer
- Sterilized glass jar(s) for storage
- 2 cups dried elderberries
- 4 cups water
- 1 cinnamon stick (optional)
- 2 whole star anise (optional)
- ¼ tsp whole cloves (optional)
- 1 cup raw, local honey (or maple syrup for vegan/infant-friendly recipe)
- Combine berries and optional spices with water in a medium-sized pot and bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat and allow mixture to simmer for 30 to 40 minutes.
- Remove from heat and let mixture steep for one hour.
- Strain berries and spices using a funnel overlaid with doubled cheesecloth, undyed cotton muslin bag, or fine mesh strainer and squeeze out liquid (careful, liquid will likely still be hot). Discard herbs in compost.
- Once liquid has cooled to just above room temperature, add honey and stir to incorporate.
- Bottle in sterilized glass and store in refrigerator.
- For health maintenance, enjoy 1 tablespoon per day. For assistance in recovering from a cold or flu, enjoy 1 tablespoon 3 times per day.